Wednesday, August 26, 2009

My Stomach

That title is actually just the beginning of this sentence: "My stomach can't decide if it wants to live in my throat or my toes." I say that because I really, really, really can't handle the sight of blood. It was bad enough when I had my own owchies to deal with but now I have a baby and when he gets owies, it's even worse. I told my sister this morning that I really feel like I just need to sit down on the floor and put my head between my knees (to keep from passing out). Well, the story goes like this:
We are installing a new HVAC system in our house. During this process, our old system "gave up the ghost" so to keep things remotely cool, we have been using a portable AC unit in the one bedroom that the three of us have been sharing. This also happens to be my sewing room and Allen's project room so there's LOTS of stuff in there for a little guy to get into. Douglas has been pretty good about sticking to just pulling the DVD's and books off the bookshelves or playing in my thread. He really hasn't gotten "into" anything....until yesterday, that is. Douglas decided he wanted to try to get to the stuff that's INSIDE the portable AC unit. There are these slim openings cut into the metal (see the picture) and Douglas figured that they were the PERFECT size for his fingers. As it turns out, his fingers got stuck so I tried to help him get unstuck. I got his middle finger out & then tried to turn his hand so that his finger would slide out...well, he was pulling while I was turning and the metal just sliced into his little finger! I FREAKED out but at the same time kept a semi-cool head. I got him to the bathroom and got pressure applied to the wound. I got a band-aid and ointment all over it and after a while the bleeding slowed & eventually stopped. My concern is that this is a pretty deep cut and I wonder if I should have taken him to get stitches. Obviously, I didn't. This morning when we got up, the cut seemed to have sealed itself shut. I put a band-aid back on it but after an hour or so, Douglas had that torn off and within about 15 minutes, I noticed that the owie had opened back up and was bleeding again. I tried to call our pediatricians office to see what they would recommend but their phones don't seem to be working & I couldn't get thru to them! ARRRGH!!! I have a new band-aid on there (wonder how long THIS one will last) and I'm hoping that I made the right decision not to take him to get stitches...I've said it before & I'll say it again - what a GREAT mom I am....

No comments:

Post a Comment