Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Peanut Butter and Hives

Douglas had his first real peanut butter sandwich today. It was all his own, not just a taste off of mine. He had 3 or 4 decent sized bites. Twenty minutes later, he had a face & neck FULL of hives! I gave him Benadryl and put some cortisone cream on the spots that seemed to be itching the worst. Douglas was conked out by the Benadryl but I kept an eye on him. He seemed OK aside from the hives - meaning, he was breathing fine. I spoke to the nurse at his Pediatricians office and she said the only things I could have done differently were that I could have given him a larger dose of Benadryl than I did AND that I should have listened to the Doc when she said to wait until Douglas was 2 to introduce peanut butter.

Hmmmm....I don't think I will try to introduce peanut butter again!!! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment