Thursday, April 9, 2009

Good-bye, Dear Friend


Many people have pets. Many people have children. Many people have pets AND children. I fell into that last category up until yesterday. Yesterday, I said good-bye to my dear friend, Krak-hed. For the last several months, really since Douglas became mobile, the cat has been having some serious behavioral issues. He would pee in the room where he cat box was located or he would poo just in front of the box. He has also been licking great big bald patches on his stomach. He lost a few pounds in the last few months too. Lately, I had noticed that the cat was spending more and more time sleeping in our room and would only come out once Douglas was asleep. I took him to the vet and she looked him over. She says he is a perfectly healthy, seven-year-old cat but that he was very stressed out and it was most likely due to Douglas. She said that many cats can't handle the change that comes with a new baby and it appeared that Krak-hed was definitely one of these cats. After the last incident of the cat using the floor instead of the cat box, Allen said he thought it would be best if the cat went to a different home or a shelter. So I put an ad on Craig's List and then proceeded to contact several local "no-kill" shelters. All of the shelters told me that they were full to capacity and wouldn't take an "owner relinquishment". I was getting very upset because I didn't want to take him to the pound where he could get put to sleep if he didn't get adopted right away...then I got an email in response to my ad. The lady told me that she & her husband lived out in the country in a decent sized home. Their kids are grown and out and she just has a soft-spot for black cats. We talked for a while & then I packed all of the cat's stuff up into the car & took him to her house. He now lives about an hour away and the report is that he's been having quite a time exploring his new house and that he really likes his new "dad". I am exceptionally sad that I don't have him anymore. He was a very dear friend and was with me through some of the roughest patches of my life. I can only hope that this new home allows him to destress and that he will enjoy peace & quiet & get lots of love.
You made a fabulous friend and I will never forget you, Krak-hed.

1 comment: