Thursday, February 17, 2011

Mama Says

My mom always told us, "If you don't have something nice to say, then don't say anything at all." 

I woke up this morning feeling a bit grumbly.  I wasn't upset about anything, but I was really finding it difficult to find something positive about the day.  Lots of whining thoughts were running through my skull and I just wanted to plop them all down for everyone to read.  But then mom's saying went through my head & I held my "tongue" (really my fingers, but you know what I mean). 

Then another thought occured to me.  Mom's saying isn't exactly how I want to think.  I don't just want to hold my tongue if my thoughts aren't immediately nice.  What I need to do instead is find the good.  Every day holds something good.  Something beautiful.  Sometimes, it just takes a few moments to truly locate the things for which we are thankful.

So although I woke up with the grumps today, I have been able to look around me & find things to lift my spirits:

*I'm thankful for the beautiful spring weather we are having.  60+ degrees, the windows open, the sun shining in.  One couldn't ask for a more glorious day.  ("Oh what a beautiful morning!  Oh what a beautiful day!  I've got a wonderful feeeeeeling!  Everything's going my way!!!!")

*I'm thankful for my son who has been doing some incredibly adorable things today that have just been making me laugh.  ("IDEA, Mahnee!  A chocolate sandwich for lunch.  The BEST EVER!!!!!"  Oh if you could just hear him & see him as he says it, you'd laugh too!)

*I'm thankful for my mom teaching me to sew.  Without her, I never would have had the desire to make baby gifts for all my pregnant friends & family members!! :-)

*I'm thankful for the angels that surround me out here in VA.  People who are calling me when they go to the grocery store to see if I need anything.  People who are willing to drive 30 minutes out of their way just so they can pick Douglas & I up & take us to play with other kids.  It's people like these wonderful ladies that makes me realize that there are still lots of decent humans out there in this world.

What beauty have you found today?

No comments:

Post a Comment