Tuesday, September 14, 2010

The Pillowcase Project

So I've mentioned a few times (here & on Facebook) that I've been doing quite a bit of sewing lately. Well, I took a break from my personally assigned projects to make pillowcases. My sister, Shannon, got me reading this gals blog (Dana Made It) and she put up a post about a charity called ConKerr Cancer. This charity collects homemade pillowcases & then donates them to pediatric cancer centers around the US. Their goal is to give a pillowcase to every sick child in the country by 2012. As Shannon would say, "A Noble Cause". As most of you also know, my nephews' cousin Anna has been battling a rare form of leukemia for the bulk of her life. She's currently getting treatment at a facility in Idaho. So it was with her in mind that I put aside all my other sewing projects and started making pillowcases. I was originally just going to make a few - but as I went through my fabric stash, I realized that I could actually make A LOT of pillowcases. They are quick, easy projects....the hardest part of which is just selecting the coordinating fabric pieces. In any case, I finally finished 20 pillowcases today. I wish I could have laid them all out so you could see what they all look like, but attaching 20 pictures to my blog would be just a tad much, don't you think??? In any case, these 20 pillowcases will be going to the local drop off center tomorrow. Can I just say that I wish I could be there when a kiddo gets one of them? I would love to see the look on their face!!! There were quite a few of these that I wish I could keep too. It's a good think that I've got a boatload of fabric so I can make more!!! I TOTALLY love the first 3 in this picture --^ but the bad news for me is that I don't have enough of those fabrics to make more....and those fabrics were clearanced!!! Oh well...it's for a good cause!
Douglas LOVES the 2nd one here --^...he kept trying to take it away from me! The good news is that I've got PLENTY of this fabric left over to make him a couple of cases! Also, I know that the "Dick & Jane" fabric is technically a book panel, but it looked REALLY cute as a pillowcase...and it'll give the kiddo who gets it something to read while they are in bed! :-)

The 2nd pillowcase is made from fabric that I got from mom - it's called "Honey Bear". She's had that fabric since I was a little girl. And she gave it to me so I could make a blanket or quilt out of it. But I had a feeling it was just going to sit in my stash for a loooooooong time. So this seemed like an excellent use for it. It's a very cute print! However, my fave from this set is #4...I bought that Hawaiian shirting to make myself a skirt....2 years ago. So I guess it's time I used the fabric, don't you?
And I just love all of these. #2 and #5 make me think of my sister (Shannon!)....and I actually got the blue/red/white heart fabric to make my niece, Nina, a skirt for 4th of July....it didn't happen so I put the fabric to a better use.

All 20 cases ... whew!!! Can I just say that I'm actually kinda tired after making all those? It took me almost 2 weeks (not sewing every day but just about!!!) but they are done. 20 kids will be getting new pillowcases and I can only hope that they will love 'em & that the pillowcase will help them to feel just a little better as they go through their tough ordeals.
My thoughts go out to you, Anna - come home soon!




No comments:

Post a Comment