Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Smokin'

As you may (or may not) know, I smoked for several years. During that time, I tried to quit 3 or 4 times only to just go right back to it. The day I found out I was pregnant with Douglas, though, I quit - threw the remainder of the pack I had out the window and I haven't touched a cigarette since. SO, it's been just over two years since the last time I smoked anything. For those of you who have never smoked, you will not understand this feeling. For those of you who have never quit smoking, you may not understand this either but I've got to share this. Like I said, it's been 2 years for me. You would think that 2 years would be enough time to get rid of the urge....but it's not. I wake up every single day with the desire to smoke. All day long, it's in my mind to go buy a pack of cigs & start up again. I find myself munching on food just to keep myself from going back to smoking. I have been fighting the urge and I don't plan on going back but the mental struggle is so much more difficult than you may realize. So having shared that, let me say to all of you out there - don't start smoking. It's a very expensive habit - more than just monetarily too. It costs you time & effort & pain & suffering. If I could go back to the day when I tried my first cigarette, I would definitely smack myself on the back of the head and say, "YOU FOOL! YOU FOOL! DON'T DO IT!"


2 comments:

  1. seriously? you wake up with that urge every day?....i started something...a little over 36 years ago, and now i wake up every day with the urge to eat....is it anything like that? (bwahahahahaaaa) :) :) sorry. i can't help myself. :)

    our dad asked me once if i'd ever smoked a joint - i told him i didn't want to try drugs/alcohol/etc. because i didn't want to find out if i liked it or not. i was afraid i would like it, and then...i didn't want to know what would happen after that. so i never tried anything.

    i'm not sorry about that either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's the weird part (to me) -- I have no desire to go back to the drugs. But, the plain ol' cigarettes...yes, I battle with that DAILY. I have a feeling that my eating because I don't want to start smoking again has a little bit to do with my consistent weight gain. And you shouldn't be sorry about never trying anything. It's really not all that it's cracked up to be.

    ReplyDelete